Pages

Monday, February 20, 2012

What is this all about anyway??

Here we go!  My first official "Be Empowered" blog post!  My dear friend, Martha, has inspired this first post by asking what "Be Empowered" is all about.  So, first things first...an explanation of my intent...

Several life events forced the decision to take a close look at my own consumer behavior.  Two stand out above the rest: my Dad's cancer diagnosis, and the birth of my son.  My Dad's (victorious) battle with cancer left many unresolved questions in my mind about how an otherwise healthy middle-aged man could develop cancer, not once, but three separate times.  Those questions only multiplied over time as I watched friends, family, and community members struggle with cancer, chronic illness, as well as syndromes and disorders like autism, ADHD, and fibromyalgia.  In the two years leading up the birth of my son I discovered some of the gaps in consumer awareness when a friend introduced me to the Environmental Working Group's Cosmetics Database: Skin Deep.  I started searching the database for my favorite products and quickly discovered that nearly all of the products I used daily including hair care, make-up, soap, lotions, etc...included ingredients that were known toxins including carcinogens, hormone distrupors, and neurotoxins.  I began eliminating these and other products from my home, replacing them with safe and healthy alternatives.  As I came across articles, research, and resources I would share them with friends through social media and include the heading "Be Empowered!"

My passion to create a healthy home and community has increased exponentially with the birth of my son (born in August 2011).  It has become increasingly obvious to me that we live in a society where we have been led to believe many myths about the safety of the products we consume every day.  For example:  If products are sold in a supermarket or drugstore, they must be safe.  I hold a degree in Advertising & Public Relations so I have a keen appreciation for the efforts made by corporations to market products in this extremely competitive marketplace.

This blog is intended to offer information that will help all of us be more educated and empowered consumers who can create healthy homes and communities.  This blog is not intended to be a political platform.  I do believe that we vote every day with our dollars and we can make a difference by being mindful of how we cast those "votes."  Regardless of your political persuasion, I also believe that our local representatives need to hear from us about issues that are important to us...and that's where I'll stop with politics.

I know I could write all night about life-changing information I have discovered for my own family as it relates to food, cleaning products, cosmetics, water, waste, and more, but we'll just have to take it one post at a time!   

Thank you for your interest...please subscribe and share with your friends...together we can create healthy homes and communities!  You can find Be Empowered on Facebook, too!


1 comment:

  1. This is going to be a great blog that I look forward to following- such important information to know, and share with one another, keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete