Pages

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Sugar for Breakfast?

When I was a little girl we lived for a short time on my grandparents farm.  There are a few things I remember distinctly about that time...the horses, Daisy & Queenie, the smell and sound of the milk house, the striped sheets on the metal framed bed, and the kitchen.  It was the early 80's and Grammy had a brown refrigerator (memories are funny, aren't they...for what we remember!)  The bottom cupboard next to the refrigerator was the cereal cupboard, and I'll always remember what you could find there:  Product 19, Fruit Loops, and Honey Smacks!

First, let me say that I grew up in a home where sugary cereals weren't even an option!  We ate lots of Corn Flakes, Cheerios, Shredded Wheat, etc.. (the store brand kind).  So...to get your hands on Fruit Loops and Honey Smacks...what a TREAT!

As an adult, I must admit that I still love Corn Flakes and Cheerios, and yes, when I do buy cereal, I buy the store brand, (even though as a kid I insisted the name brand was so much tastier).  But, I'd be lying if I told you that I don't still pause for a split second when I pass by the Honey Smacks and taste that sugary yumminess in my mind.  So to the whole point of this post...

Now that I have a child of my own I get so upset when I see little ones eating these sugary cereals, day in and day out.  The first ingredient in Honey Smacks, Apple Jacks, Fruit Loops (and more) is SUGAR! Sugar is directly linked to obesity.  I'm also convinced it's addictive on some level, I mean doesn't the name "Honey Smacks" sound like some crazy street drug?  And that's not all....check out this article for a list of ways that "sugar is ruining your health" that might surprise you!

Here's the other "cereal deception."  If you are not a keen consumer you may be fooled into thinking these cereals are actually good for your child or your family.  Why right on the box it says "good source of fiber and whole grain," "8 essential vitamins," "good source of vitamin D."  Here's where we have to use our common sense, folks!  A serving of Honey Smacks (which by the way is 3/4 of a cup, and who ever eats just one serving?)  has more sugar than a TWINKIE!!!!  The benefits of any vitamins, fiber and whole grain are laughable when you look at the ingredients in context.  A good source of fiber, whole grain, and vitamins would be oatmeal with fresh fruit!  Let's go back to my reflections about growing up...the things I love now are the things that were staples in my home growing up...and they go far beyond cereal to fresh vegetables, whole grains, fruit, homemade meals, etc...  Proverbs 22:6 says "Train up a child in the way he should go, Even when he is old he will not depart from it."

Want to read more about sugar in "children's cereal?"  Check out this article by the Environmental Working Group.

An empowered parent/grandparent/caretaker creates an empowered child!  Here's the challenge:  take at the cereal in your cupboard and read some labels!  If sugar is the number one or two ingredient say "adios" and discover the nearly endless alternatives that can be just as tasty and even more fun!  Need some inspiration?  Check out these Healthy Kids Breakfast Recipes.

Do you have a favorite healthy breakfast recipe?  Share it!

9 comments:

  1. I liked the part about empowering your kids. Now that all of my kiddos can read, we are HUGE label readers! I let the kids pick the cereal we buy on grocery day. I set the limits, they need to read the labels and decide what we buy. It must contain whole grain, protein and sugar must not be in the top 4 or 5 ingredients. And, absolutely NO high fructose corn syrup. I remember one morning, my daughter having breakfast with her dad, she read the label in 'his' cereal and exclaimed, "Daddy, you can't eat this!! It has almost no fiber and almost no protein, you're going to be wicked hungry before lunch and you're going to feel AWFUL!". I think as long as you explain your food choices to your kids and make them a part of the process, they're more than happy to cooperate.

    Also, our favorite breakfast: Vanilla Greek yogurt with fresh fruit or granola. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie...you are so right...kids love being empowered!

      Delete
    2. I love this idea of giving the kids guidelines and then letting them choose!

      Delete
  2. "Added" sugar is the problem. Was listening to a great conversation about this on NPR the other day, wish I could remember the expert they were talking to. Sugar is bad for your liver just like alcohol. I think it is a better idea to get your sweets more naturally through fruit. I should listen to my own advice more though as I am guilty of eating cookies and sweets too much. A good breakfast idea from angela and adding some fruit can make it even better! Blueberries, strawberries, kiwis, pineapples, whatever, way better to get your sugar naturally. I used to make it all the time and there was another ingredient I can't remember..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kyle...thanks for posting! Fruit is a great way to satisfy your sweet tooth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was very eye opening for me! We've gotten very lazy over the past year as far as what we serve for breakfast and really need to get back on track. I have a post on this coming in a couple of days - we're in the midst of taste-testing some smoothie recipes to replace the sugar-laden pre-packaged "smoothies" we let the kids have.

    I also thought stevia was an artificial sweetener, which I avoid, so it is great to know it's not! Do you know if stevia or x-whatever is available in grocery stores?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stevia products like TruVia are now available in grocery stores. BE CAUTIOUS and do your research! Check out these resources:
      http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-truth-on-truvia/#axzz1o7Lrrt3G
      http://side-effects.owndoc.com/truvia-side-effects.html

      Delete
  5. Although studies show that some artificial sweeteners do not have or have little impact on insulin levels...there are plenty of reasons to avoid them..."artificial" pretty much sums all the bad stuff up! We opt for local maple syrup, local honey, and molasses whenever possible!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Sarah Jo! I'll check those links. By the way, I am now officially mortified. Your post prompted me to look at our cereal boxes when I pulled them out this morning. My three "healthy" cereals? All have sugar as the third ingredient. *Sigh* I suppose its better than sugar being listed first, but still not great.

    ReplyDelete